Lose the stigma. Take a look at these great resources and toolsThere is no shame in coming to counseling. In fact, people often respect those who improve themselves with the help of psychotherapy
Mental Illness is more common than expected. It is time to stop the stigma.
Did you know?
– “About 1 in 17 adults live with a serious and chronic mental illness”
– “About 20% of teens aged 13-18 experience mental illness in a given year”
– “Approximately 60% of adults and almost 50% of youth with mental illness did not receive treatment in the past year”
The above is from the National Alliance on Mental Illness
Some Excellent Websites on Mental Illness
www.nami.org (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
www.samhsa.gov (The Substance Abuse and Mental Illness Services Administration)
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/ (National Institute of Mental Health)
www.drugrehab.com/co-occurring-disorder/ptsd/ (Drug Rehab’s valuable information regarding PTSD and substance use)
www.drugrehab.com/recovery/relapse/ (Drug Rehab’s valuable information regarding relapse)
EMDR institute (The EMDR Institute offers a wealth of information on EMDR)
EMDR International Association (“The EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) is a professional association where EMDR practitioners and EMDR researchers seek the highest standards for the clinical use of EMDR therapy.” – Straight from their website).
What can I do?
– Educate others/speak out against stigma
– Be aware of your behaviors and attitudes associated with mental illness
– Be and stay positive