Mental Illness is more common than expected. It is time to stop the stigma.
There is still a lot of stigma attached to mental illness in our culture. Although new research comes out all the time, we are still far from understanding why people develop mental illness; much less how to “cure” or “prevent” it. Until that day, it is important for people to continue advocating and learning about it. This way we can stop the stigma.
Did you know?
– “1 in 4 American adults experience mental illness in a given year”
– “About 1 in 17 adults live with a serious and chronic mental illness”
– “About 20% of teens aged 13-18 experience mental illness in a given year”
– “Approximately 60% of adults and almost 50% of youth with mental illness did not receive treatment in the past year”
The above is from the National Alliance on Mental Illness
What can I do?
– Become educated on mental illness
– Educate others/speak out against stigma
– Be aware of your behaviors and attitudes associated with mental illness
– Be and stay positive